The practice of mindful eating aims for the opposite effect – getting you to slow down, really taste and enjoy each bite of food, and to read your body’s hunger signals. Health experts say mindful eating can help develop healthier eating habits and may also promote weight loss: You’re likely to feel more satisfied if you are focusing on the food being eaten, leading you to eat less.
Here are a few easy tips for mindful eating, from the National Institutes of Health:
- Turn off the devices – phone, TV, computer and any other distractions.
- Sit down at a table so you can fully focus on what you are eating.
- Keep appropriate serving sizes in mind, and consider starting with a smaller portion than usual.
- Keep serving dishes off the dinner table; you will have to make a conscious choice to go back for more.
- Eat slowly, exploring each bite with five senses – how it looks, tastes, smells, feels in your mouth, and even how it sounds as you chew.
- Take a moment to appreciate that you are nourishing your body.
- Do a hunger check: are you truly hungry, or eating for another reason?
Uncle Wally’s has some great low calorie and portion-controlled products that allow you to enjoy each bite in a delicious and sensible way:
Our Fiber One Wraps are low-calorie, low-fat, and delicious on their own or filled with almost anything you like. They provide 28% of your daily requirement for fiber.
Mindful eating also focuses your attention on the amount of food you are consuming. Our Rich & Moist Mini Muffins and Ice Cream Mini Muffins are a wonderful way to enjoy a satisfying treat without feeling you have to finish a large portion. Our yummy Smart Portion Muffin Tops go the extra mile – providing healthy probiotics, Omega-3s, fiber, calcium, vitamin D and protein.
Uncle Wally’s Sugar-Free Muffins and Fat-Free Muffins are two more delicious way to cut calories and fat as you savor the home-baked taste.
Like Uncle Wally’s on Facebook for more recipes, news and product information.